Hinsdale Car Accident Lawyers and Auto Accident Attorneys
Contact our Hinsdale Office
242 E Ogden Ave Ste 5
Hinsdale, IL 60521-3677
Car accidents catch victims off guard every day. You can be following the rules of the road as you drive, and then suddenly be badly injured by a reckless driver. A devastating car wreck can impact every aspect of your life. If you have been injured in an accident, it can take many weeks or months to recover. Many car accident victims suffer from injuries for the rest of their lives.
You need experienced legal representation if you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident. The car accident lawyers at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. have years of experienced representing clients in Hinsdale. We know how to help you win the compensation that you need after suffering a horrible accident.
Do not hesitate to seek legal counsel after being in a bad accident. The other parties involved will be trying to pay you as little as possible for your injuries. Contact Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. to speak with a skilled accident lawyer today. Call our office at (630) 323-7322 or contact us through our online form.
Why You Need a Lawyer After a Car Accident
Your life can be turned upside down after sustaining serious injuries. This can impact your entire family. You may think that your medical bills and lost wages will be covered by the negligent driver. However, it is not always easy for accident victims to recover the compensation that they need. The insurance companies involved will use their lawyers and resources to fight paying you any more than they have to. Many accident victims are shocked when they find that their own insurance will cover little or none of their expenses. You need an experienced Hinsdale car accident attorney working for you and your family.
Having a skilled car accident injury lawyer makes clear to all the parties involved that you will accept nothing short of the compensation that you deserve. Some of the specific benefits of having a knowledgeable injury car accident lawyer include:
- Knowledge of Illinois law – Our state’s comparative negligence law prohibits an injured person from recovering any money if they are found to hold the majority of the negligence that caused their accident. We understand how the court will consider the details of your case as you seek compensation.
- Understanding how to calculate your damages – You cannot win financial compensation for damages that you are unable to prove. We know how to investigate your case to help you recover every dollar you need.
- Experienced negotiating with insurance companies – You will not receive a fair settlement offer if the insurance company does not believe that you will take them to court. Our firm can successfully negotiate with insurance firms since they know we are willing to take your case to trial.
- Knowing how to win at trial – The court process for personal injury can be complex and overwhelming for anyone. You need a lawyer with years of successful trial experience.
Compensation in Car Accidents
A serious vehicle accident can take over your entire life. You may have huge medical and car repair bills. Furthermore, it can be difficult for you to return to work. Recovering financial compensation is necessary for most car accident victims. The law allows for you to take legal action against the negligent party who is responsible for your injuries. A lawsuit is not meant to enrich you at the expense of the other driver. Instead, it allows for the injured party to recover damages that can help make them whole. While you may never fully recover after an accident, financial compensation can help you move forward with your life.
All traffic accidents are unique, and each wreck can result in numerous victims. Your lawyer must be able to prove your damages if you are to win compensation for them. This involves collecting medical bills, pay records, and insurance documents. However, our lawyers know that you will need compensation for many other things going forward. This can include future surgery or therapy, job training, and even compensation for travel expenses. The types of damages for which an accident victim can receive compensation can be broken down into the following:
- Economic Damages – These are specific expenses that can be easily calculated. They include lost wages, medical bills, and property damage.
- Non-economic Damages – These are intangible damages that cannot easily be assigned a dollar figure. They include pain and suffering, loss of quality of life, and loss of companionship.
- Punitive Damages – The court can rule that the other party pay these extra damages as a punishment for their extremely reckless conduct. This is rare in car accidents since it’s difficult to prove that the negligent person acted with malicious intent.
Hinsdale Car Accident Statistics
There are hundreds of car accidents every year in Hinsdale. A significant portion of these wrecks result in one or several people being injured. You can be caught off guard by a negligent driver at any time of day. We have seen many accidents during rush times as well as late in the evening. It is also common for serious accidents to happen on smaller roads and in residential neighborhoods. The Illinois Department of Transportation reports that there are about 500 to 600 car accidents every year in Hinsdale. More than one in five accidents results in at least one person being injured. Many injuries result in long term or permanent disability. Statistics of car accidents in Hinsdale include the following:
- Weather conditions – The vast majority of accidents are reported to occur in “clear” weather. Less than a quarter of accidents happen during rain or snow fall.
- Time of week – Police report that most accidents happen during the work week. Most years see Fridays as the most dangerous days for wrecks.
- Time of day – Accidents in Hinsdale are very common during rush hour. More accidents happen in the morning rush, but the afternoon accident spike will last well after dark.
- Driver condition – A majority of accidents involve drivers who are considered to be in normal physical and mental condition. Even though drunk drivers kill many people in Illinois every year, they account for a small number of motorists involved in wrecks.
Most Dangerous Roads and Intersections in Hinsdale
Hinsdale has many dangerous roadways which see many car accidents. Car accidents do not only occur on busy roads and intersections. Numerous accidents happen on low speed roads in neighborhoods. These places can be very dangerous since drivers often let their guard down. Neighborhood streets often lack stop or yield signs which can lead to confusion when cars approach each other. Furthermore, many streets in Hinsdale do not follow a regular grid pattern. Roadways with sharp bends see many head on collisions and accidents involving pedestrians.
Some of the most dangerous types of roads and intersections in Hinsdale include:
- Curving intersections – Fourth and Park Ave and Ravine and Oak streets are intersections where all of the roads are curving as they meet. They have hosted many accidents and at least one recent fatal collision involving a pedestrian.
- Highway ramps – The on and off ramps for Interstate 294 and Illinois 83 are the sites of many wrecks. Cars here may not properly adjust to speed of traffic as they enter or leave the highway.
- Train stops – Accidents often happen at or near one of the three Metra stops in Hinsdale. These accidents generally involve cars hitting each other, but sometimes a car can be struck by a passing train.
- Roads with many teen drivers – Teen drivers are more likely to cause accidents since they are often distracted or speeding. These drivers are constantly around Central High School on S. Grant St.
The Chicago area has many days of poor driving weather every year. Some roads in Hinsdale are better kept than others. A heavy snowstorm can make driving very difficult and dangerous. Larger roads are cleared earliest and treated to prevent ice. However, drivers in these conditions are often unprepared for the snow and ice accumulation on small neighborhood roads. Distracted drivers often cause serious accidents in poor weather. Do not hesitate to call an experienced lawyer if you have been injured in a car wreck. (630) 323-7322.
Causes of Car Accidents
Devastating car accidents are caused by many things. Drivers and passengers can be badly injured even if they have done nothing wrong. It’s very common for a negligent driver to strike an unsuspecting victim. You or a loved one can require significant medical attention after being in a wreck. Additionally, many accident victims never fully recover. Illinois law allows for you to seek compensation from the negligent party in your accident.
Winning damages from the negligent party requires that your lawyer prove exactly what happened. It must be shown that the accident that resulted in your injuries was caused by the carelessness of the other person. This requires investigating every detail of your case. Our lawyers have years of experience studying serious car accidents. Every car accident is different. However, some of the most common causes of wrecks in the Hinsdale area include:
- Distracted drivers – People are often focusing on their phones or passengers while driving. This causes many accidents on both busy and small roads.
- Drivers falling asleep – Drivers frequently fall asleep at the wheel and cause an accident. This can happen at any time of day.
- Aggressive drivers – Accidents often happen when reckless drivers break the rules of the road. Incidents of road rage are also a consistent threat to driver safety.
- Defective car parts – You can be in an accident if part of your car unexpectedly fails. This can be caused by poor part design, manufacturing defects, or vehicle assembly.
- Drunk Drivers – Drunk drivers cause many accidents in the Hinsdale area every year. These wrecks often result in serious injury or death.
- Teen Drivers – Teens are often distracted by their passengers or mobile phones. These drivers account for about 20 percent of accidents in Hinsdale every year.
- Poorly kept roads – A road that has not been properly kept is more likely to be the scene of an accident. Harsh weather and busy traffic results in constant damage to Hinsdale roads.
Types of Car Accidents Common in Hinsdale
No two accidents are the same. Many collisions result in terrible injuries. A car accident can have a unique impact on each person involved. As experienced injury lawyers, we have seen many different types of accidents. Many times people are injured in a high speed accident on a busy road. However, some accidents on small roads or in parking lots can cause serious harm to the victims. You have the right to seek compensation for any type of accident, even if it may seem minor. Your accident may have been caused by driver error, a defective car part, or damaged road.
Our law firm has helped victims of many different types of accidents. We know that a negligent driver can cause many different types of collisions. Some of the types of car accidents we have seen in the Hinsdale area include:
- Parking Lot Accidents
- Sideswipe Accidents
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Reckless Driving Accidents
- Aggressive Driving and Road Rage Accidents
- Head-On Collisions
- Hit and Runs
- T-Bone Accidents
- Rear-End Collisions
- Rollover Accidents
- Tire Blowout Accidents
- Pothole and Road Hazard Accidents
- Construction Zone Accidents
Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents often leave victims badly injured or killed. You may need months or years of medical attention after being in an accident. It’s important to take your recovery very seriously. Ignoring even minor injuries can result in serious future harm. Additionally, failing to seek medical attention can make your case for compensation difficult. You have to right to recover damages for the harm caused by someone else. A skilled lawyer understands that some of your injuries may not be apparent immediately after your accident. You deserve compensation for all injuries and harm stemming from your accident.
An accident injury can require intense hospital care for weeks or months. This is often followed by therapy and even surgery years after the injury. Some common types of car accident injuries involve:
- Back injuries and neck injuries– Damaging your spinal column can result in partial or complete paralysis. You may need constant medical help for years.
- Head damage – Brain damage must be immediately addressed. These injuries must be closely monitored since it may take time to diagnose them.
- Cuts and lacerations – A deep cut from a car accident can result in dangerous amounts of blood loss. Furthermore, these injuries can damage internal organs.
- Internal organ damage – Your organs can be hurt by an impact or direct cut or puncture. A damaged organ can affect every part of your daily life going forward.
- Broken bones – A broken or fractured bone can result in permanent mobility issues. Your bones may never properly heal if they are badly crushed.
- Seat belt injuries – While meant to save our lives, we can be hurt by our seat belt. In addition to bad cuts, your body may be violently twisted by your belt.
- Lost limbs – Many limbs or extremities are too badly damaged to save. There are also numerous cases where car accident victims lose their vision.
- Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) – A violent impact can result in PTSD that may not show for weeks or months. Therapy may be needed to allow for you to do things that were once routine.
Steps to Take After Being in a Car Accident
Car accidents frequently leave those involved injured. You can be unsure what to do after being in a car accident. It’s possible for you or others to sustain many injuries in a wreck. While all car accidents are different, we encourage those involved to seek safety. The scene of an accident can be extremely dangerous. There can be broken glass and twisted metal littering the street. Additionally, it’s possible for traffic to continue to speed past your car. You must make sure to get yourself and your loved ones to safety immediately after an accident. This can be difficult since people may be trapped in their cars or too injured to walk.
Once you get to a safe place, you must call for emergency medical help if it is needed. It’s understandable to want to give assistance to others injured in the crash. Illinois law does not require you to help others who may be hurt. However, you can be protected from liability if you chose to render aid. This legal protection stands so long as you do not maliciously harm the injured person or seek financial gain. After getting to safety and calling for medical help, steps you should take include:
- Call your lawyer – Legal issues are at play in every aspect of a car accident case. A skilled lawyer can protect your rights while helping you get the compensation you need.
- Create a timeline of events – Write down everything that you remember leading up to the accident. This will be of great help to your lawyer as the investigation goes forward.
- Record all witness contact information – Make a list of everyone you remember who may have witnessed the accident. Give this list and witness contact information to your lawyer.
- Cooperate with police – Make sure to give investigating officers a full report of the accident. This can be done at a later date if you are rushed to the hospital after the accident.
- Keep up with your medical treatment – Failure to follow through with your doctor may convince people that your injuries were not serious. Ask your doctor how the accident will affect your life going forward.
Dealing With Insurance After Your Car Accident
Having car insurance is the law in Illinois. We rely on our insurance providers to be there during times of need. Additionally, we expect other insurance companies to act fairly when they are dealing with us. However, insurance companies often fight to pay as little as possible to injured victims. These companies have adjusters and lawyers working on numerous car accident cases every day. The negligent driver’s insurance company will seek to pay you as little as possible. Furthermore, your own insurance provider will work to reduce their liability to pay you anything that they owe after your accident.
It’s important to not sign anything or accept a settlement payment immediately after your accident. Instead, we strongly advise you to call an experienced personal injury lawyer at (630) 323-7322. A skilled lawyer will understand how to determine exactly how much compensation you will need. The car accident lawyers at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. have negotiated for many clients injured in car wrecks. Some of the benefits of having a knowledgeable accident lawyer include:
- Understanding of Illinois law – The insurance companies have certain legal duties when their clients are involved in an accident. A knowledgeable lawyer can make sure they do everything necessary for you and your family.
- Strong negotiation – Negotiating for financial compensation requires showing exactly what happened and how much harm has been done to the injured. An experienced lawyer can collect all necessary evidence and negotiate on your behalf.
- Taking a case to trial – The insurance company is more likely to pay a high settlement if they fear going to a costly trial. Insurance providers know that our firm has years of successful courtroom experience.
The Claims Process After a Car Accident
It’s easy for anybody to be overwhelmed after a bad accident. You or your loved ones may have serious injuries. It’s important to seek medical help without delay. After this, you will have to figure out how to recover compensation from the insurance companies involved. Having a skilled attorney is essential in recovering all the financial help you need. After seeking medical attention, we strongly advise you call an experienced attorney. The car accident lawyers at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. can help you with the confusing insurance claims process. (630) 323-7322.
The insurance company will want to see evidence of your damages. For medical issues, this can include medical bills as well as estimates of future needs. For property damage, you can provide repair quotes or estimates. Your lawyer can help you with gathering the necessary documents and photographs. It is common for the insurance company to investigate part of your claim before sending payment. Our attorneys have years of experience working opposite insurance providers. We know how their lawyers and adjusters will view your accident and damages. After your accident, we can help you file one of the following types of claims:
- A First Party Claim – This is a claim with your own insurance company. They can be required to pay you if the other person is uninsured or underinsured.
- A Third Party Claim – This is when you seek damages from the insurance company that covers the negligent party in your case. Your lawyer will have to convince them that their client was at fault and they must pay.
Insurance companies know that they can be taken to court if they refuse to pay someone a fair financial settlement. Going to court can be time consuming and costly. The insurance provider can be out a lot of money if they lose at trial. Your claim is much more likely to be successful if you have an experienced trial lawyer working for you. Our lawyers can help you through every step of the claims process. We are ready to go to court on behalf of our clients who are treated unfairly by the insurance companies.
Winning With Illinois Comparative Negligence Laws
You may believe that you hold some of the responsibility for your accident. Can you collect compensation if this is the case? The answer is yes, but it can get complicated. Illinois has a modified comparative negligence law. This means that you can still win damages after being in an accident. However, your damages will be reduced by your share of the responsibility. For example, you may be found to be ten percent responsible for the accident. So an award of $100,000 will be reduced by ten percent, and you can recover $90,000. Illinois negligence law does not allow you to recover anything if you are found to hold 51 percent or more of the responsibility for the accident.
It’s very important to have a lawyer who understands Illinois law. We have years of experience taking cases to negotiation and trial. Our lawyers know how the court will view the details of your case. Gathering evidence can help prove that you are not responsible for the accident. You and your family must recover compensation from the negligent party. We will make sure that you gather all of the damages you need during this difficult time.
The Statute of Limitations Can Affect Your Case
Illinois statute of limitations law is meant to prohibit cases regarding incidents that happened in the distant past. Our state’s statute of limitations is two years. This means that you generally have to file a lawsuit within two years after the accident that caused your injury. Your case will likely be thrown out if you wait too long. This law is meant to protect people from being sued unfairly. Witnesses disappear and memories fade over the years. It is therefore considered unreasonable to make someone defend themselves after many years have passed.
You may feel as though two years is a long time to consider your options. However, it’s not long enough in many car accident cases. Your lawyer will have to gather all necessary evidence in your accident. Building a strong case can be time consuming. Furthermore, your lawyer will have to negotiate with the other side. Filing a lawsuit can sometimes take a long time. The court may not work along your schedule, and the other party may make things difficult. However, it’s important to note that there are numerous exceptions to the statute of limitations law. These rules can be complex, and apply differently to each case. Exceptions to the Illinois statute of limitations include:
- Unnoticed injuries – The statute of limitations can be delayed to begin only after your injuries become apparent. It must be found that it was reasonable for you to not notice your injuries for some time after the accident.
- Injured minor – The two year limit can begin when the injured person turns 18 years if they were a minor when the accident happened.
- The other party is out of state – Your statute of limitations can be paused if the negligent party is outside of Illinois for any considerable length of time.
Hinsdale Car Accident FAQs
Car accidents happen everyday in Hinsdale and the surrounding area. It can be difficult for anyone to understand how common serious accidents are. Hinsdale has numerous busy highways passing through or near our area. Furthermore, northern Illinois can experience very extreme weather that affects traffic. Some frequently asked questions include:
How much does it cost to hire a lawyer?
Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. work on a contingency basis. This means that we don’t charge any money upfront, and we are paid after you have won compensation for your damages.
Will my lawyer help with my insurance claim?
We help our clients with every aspect of the insurance process. Once you are represented by a lawyer, insurance companies cannot contact you directly.
How long does it take to receive compensation?
You can win a fair settlement offer very quickly in some cases. However, it can take longer if your case is complex or has to go to court.
Can I recover money for lost work?
Yes, lost wages can be recovered by the negligent party in your accident. Furthermore, we can help you win lost future earnings.
How can I recover compensation if a loved one was killed in an accident?
Your lawyer can file a wrongful death suit against the negligent party. This will seek to help you recover financially after the loss of a close loved one.
Do I have to call the police?
Illinois law requires calling the police if someone is injured or at least $1,500 of damage is sustained. We recommend always calling the police if you are hit by a careless driver.
How much compensation can I win?
You can recover compensation for all of the damages that we are able to show. An experienced lawyer can help you prove all your losses in court.
Can I recover if I’m hurt while working?
A workers compensation claim is generally required for those hurt on the job. Our firm can help you navigate this complex process if you accident happened while you were working.
Various Types of Traffic Accidents are Common in Hinsdale
Our office helps many victims of motor vehicle and traffic accidents. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports hundreds of motorcycle and truck accidents in Illinois every year. You may have been badly injured in a completely unexpected collision. This can cause you to incur huge medical bills while also possibly being out of work. No matter what type of accident you had, it’s important to call your lawyer as soon as possible. A skilled lawyer will know how gather all of the evidence in your case. Negotiating with insurance companies, and going to court, can be overwhelming. Our experience includes representing clients injured in the following types of accidents:
- Truck accidents
- Bicycle Accident
- Rideshare accidents
- Recreational Vehicle (RV) Accidents
- Boating Accident
- School Bus Accident
- Commercial Vehicle Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- ATV Accidents
- Train and railroad accidents
Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. Can Help You
Accidents happen every day in Hinsdale. Numerous people are injured in car accidents every week. Some of these injuries will take months or years to recover. You may think that it’s clear who was responsible for your injuries. However, recovering compensation can be challenging. The insurance companies involved will be looking to reduce their liability to pay you. Having a skilled and compassionate lawyer is essential if you are to protect your rights and win the damages you need.
We strongly encourage you to call your lawyer immediately after an accident. Illinois statute of limitations law requires that personal injury actions be filed within two years of the accident. Your case can be dismissed if you wait too long. Given the complexity of many cases, it’s best to not delay. Contact Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. if you or a loved one have been hurt in a car accident in Hinsdale. Call our office at (630) 323-7322.