After being in a car accident, you may think you can handle everything yourself. You may feel prepared to deal with the insurance companies and follow their claims process. You may even feel ready to go up against the other driver’s or insurer’s lawyers. However, insurance companies often have a team of lawyers who will work hard to pay you nothing or as little as possible.
You do not have to deal with the consequences of a collision alone. An auto accident attorney at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. can do the majority of the legwork for you, enabling you to concentrate on recovering from your injuries. Call today at (312) 236-2900 to find out all the reasons to hire a lawyer.
An attorney provides a number of benefits, including:
- A thorough understanding of Illinois law.Unless you have specialized legal training, you are unlikely to know all of the Illinois laws that pertain to your situation, including comparative fault, the statute of limitations on a personal injury claim, or the Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act. An experienced lawyer will identify the legal issues and relevant laws related to your accident and provide an in-depth understanding of those laws as well as how they are interpreted within the local court system. By working with an attorney who already has the knowledge and experience you need to recover from your accident, you do not have to waste time with your own research.
- Help with the insurance claims process.The first place you should turn to recover from an accident is either your insurance provider or the at-fault driver’s insurer. The process may sound simple: you file a claim and are paid a settlement up to the policy amount. However, the reality can be much different. Your claim may be denied for a number of reasons, including the insurer believing you were at fault for the accident. An attorney understands the ideal information to provide in a first- or third-party claim to increase the chance of an approval. However, if your claim is denied, a lawyer will also know how to appeal and fight for your right to recover.
- A more exhaustive calculation of your damages.When you file an insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit, you need to know the economic and noneconomic damages you have suffered in order to ask for fair compensation. A lawyer can ensure you do not miss anything when adding up how much you are owed, including your future medical expenses, disability, disfigurement, and pain and suffering. A attorney will have experience in regard to how much your noneconomic injuries, like mental anguish, are worth. When you come up with an amount yourself, it may be far too low.
- Experience in negotiating insurance settlements.Insurance companies will often offer you a monetary settlement to avoid a personal injury lawsuit and in an attempt to get rid of your claim as quickly as possible. It is not unusual for an insurer to offer you less than a fair amount. After all, an insurer never wants to pay more than is necessary. A lawyer will recognize a lowball offer and will not back down from negotiating you a more appropriate amount. An attorney has specific training in negotiating tactics and years of experience in arranging advantageous settlements.
- Aggressive representation in court.Insurance settlement negotiations often break down following car accidents. One of the major problems with obtaining a satisfactory insurance settlement is a policy that is too low to cover all of your damages. When a settlement is not possible, your attorney will aggressively represent your interests in court to seek compensation through a jury award.
Contact Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. Today
Many drivers attempt to recover compensation after a car accident by themselves. Unfortunately, these drivers will almost certainly be offered a lower amount than they deserve and have a difficult time negotiating more. You do not have to make the same mistakes.
Our car accident attorneys serve clients throughout the Chicago area, including Aurora, Elgin, Hinsdale, Joliet, Naperville, and Waukegan. By working with a lawyer immediately following the accident, you have a greater likelihood of quickly settling for a greater amount than you likely would have without an attorney. For more information on what to do after a crash, call Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. today at (312) 236-2900.