If you were in a car accident that was not your fault, filing your claim may seem simple. After all, you didn’t cause the accident, so you shouldn’t have to pay for anything. But, dealing with an insurance adjuster can be anything but easy. These adjusters do not want to pay you, and they will do everything in their power to reduce your settlement amount. Since getting your claim paid can be tricky, you should keep the below tips in mind when you are dealing with an insurance adjuster.
If you have been in a serious car accident, do not hesitate to reach out to an experienced lawyer for help. We can help negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf. Call Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. today at (312) 236-2900 to schedule a free consultation.
Five Tips for Dealing with an Insurance Adjuster
- Be honest. If you have a good case, there’s no reason to throw in any untruthful or irrelevant information. Don’t try to get the adjuster to cover expenses that do not pertain to the accident because if the adjuster finds out what you’re doing, they will likely push to have your claim dropped. You could also face insurance fraud charges.
- Be confident. It’s probable that the adjuster has worked on hundreds or even thousands of cases like yours. They are incredibly skilled and experienced, whereas you may have never worked with an adjuster before. But, don’t let your lack of knowledge intimidate you. An adjuster may try to take advantage and offer a settlement that is much lower than you deserve. Be confident, do your research, and make sure you understand everything before you agree. If you’re still uncertain, you may want to enlist the services of an attorney.
- Don’t say too much. The adjuster may want to record your statement. You should take extra caution because they will take every opportunity they can to use your own words against you. It’s best not to offer up any extraneous information and to stick to the basic facts of your case.
- Don’t be afraid to negotiate. You are not obligated to accept the first offer the adjuster proposes. In fact, it’s very possible that offer is just a fraction of what they believe the claim is worth. Their main concern is to save their company as much money as possible. Therefore, they may offer you a low amount. You should carefully look at the offer or contact an attorney to review it with you. If it’s not adequate, you can come back with a counteroffer you think is more reasonable.
- Contact an attorney. Insurance adjusters are smart and experienced. They will pour over your records and statements and look for any loopholes that could allow them to lower your settlement amount. It may be in your best interest to hire an attorney who knows how to deal with car insurance adjusters. A skilled attorney can negotiate on your behalf to help you obtain a fair settlement.
Injured in a Car Accident? Contact a Lawyer
Our lawyers at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. have helped many Chicagoans deal with insurance adjusters after a car accident. Our goal is to help you receive the compensation you deserve after being injured because of someone else.
Contact Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. today at (312) 236-2900 to schedule a free consultation with an experienced attorney.