Seven Questions to Ask Your Doctor After a Car Accident | Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C.
legal blog

Seven Questions to Ask Your Doctor After a Car Accident

Written by Jared Staver

Read Jared's Bio

Jared Staver is a Personal Injury Lawyer based in Chicago, Illinois and has been practicing law for over 20 years.

Jared Staver

CATEGORY: Auto Accidents, Personal Injury

Being involved in a car accident can be a stressful and complex situation. One of the first things you should do after a car accident is to seek medical attention. Whether you receive emergency medical treatment immediately after a crash or follow up with your physician later, there are important questions to ask your doctor after a car accident.

If you or a loved one was involved in a car accident, contact a skilled Chicago car accident lawyer at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C.. We can help you recover compensation and obtain the medical attention you need. Call us right away at (312) 236-2900 to schedule a free consultation.

1. What Is the Nature of My Injuries?

You should ask your doctor to be specific about the body parts injured and the extent of the injuries you sustained. If you know that your arm was injured, you should ask if it is considered minor, moderate, or severe. If your back was injured, ask for specific vertebrae numbers. All of the information your doctor tells you should be thoroughly documented in your records.

2. How Long Will It Take to Recover?

Although every injury is different, there are clinical averages for how long it will take to recover from various types of injuries. Most soft tissue damage resolves after a few weeks, but broken bones and whiplash may take months or years. Your doctor should be able to give you a range of time that it may take you to recover.

3. Should I Be Off Work While I Recover?

Depending on your job, you may need to be off work while you physically and mentally recover. Your doctor can write a note for your work and provide you with the necessary information to ensure you properly recovery from your injuries.

4. What Type of Prescription Medications Should I Take?

If you are experiencing extreme pain and suffering, your doctor may give you a prescription for pain medication. Steroids and anti-inflammatory drugs are also commonly used for car accident injuries. If you suffered a deep laceration or burn injury, antibiotics may be appropriate. You should ask your doctor if any of these prescription medications are right for your injury.

5. Can I Take Over the Counter (OTC) Medications?

Even if you are prescribed medications, your doctor may recommend that you take OTC meds, such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen. However, you should not take these medications without your doctor’s approval. Other prescription medications may negatively interact with or be exacerbated by OTC medications.

6. How Long Will My Treatment Last?

This question is similar to asking how long it will take for you to recover. However, your doctor may want you to obtain specific treatment for a period of time. For example, if your physician recommends physical therapy (PT), they will likely refer you to PT treatment for a certain period. This period can be extended, if necessary.

7. Do I Need to See a Specialist?

Doctors often specialize in specific fields of medicine or focus their practice on specific areas of the body. For example, if you suffer a brain injury, you will most likely be referred to a neurologist. Or, if you damage your kidney, an internal medicine doctor might consult with you on your injury. Your primary care doctor can refer you to the necessary specialists.

Call a Lawyer After You Receive Appropriate Medical Treatment

After you obtain medical treatment and speak with your doctor about your situation, you should call an attorney from Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C.. Our attorneys can work with you to seek compensation for your case. To consult with a skilled attorney, contact us at (312) 236-2900 today. Our attorneys serve clients throughout the Chicago area, including Aurora, Elgin, Hinsdale, Joliet, Naperville, and Waukegan.

Free Consultation
(312) 236-2900
(312) 236-2900
Skip to content