Choosing the right lawyer for your car accident case can make a huge difference in the outcome of your case. A skilled attorney will be able to determine the best legal option for you and your family, and take the proper steps to prepare a successful personal injury claim. There are probably many lawyers you can work with, but you should consider these five factors before making a final decision:
1. Experience– Since there are unique challenges to car accident injury cases, you will want to find an attorney with the right type of experience. If your case deals with a specific issue such as drunk driving, you’d want someone who has successfully handled a similar situation. When meeting with a lawyer, you can ask the following questions to gauge their experience level:
2. Reputation– You will want to choose a lawyer with a solid reputation, and a positive track record that’s supported by client testimonials. Getting a referral from someone you know is usually the best way to find a trustworthy attorney. You can also check out online legal forums for reviews and suggestions.
3. Legal fees– Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis, which means that you will not be charged for attorney fees unless you win monetary compensation. However, you may still be expected to pay for court filing fees and other legal services. You should discuss the fee structure with the prospective lawyer, and agree upon a payment method before signing a retainer.
4. Time and resources– While large law firms may hold more resources, their attorneys may not be able to provide the individual attention and care that you seek. Auto accident lawyers also frequently juggle multiple clients, so you’ll want to hire someone with enough time in their schedule to fully take on your case.
5. Jurisdiction– Typically in auto accident cases, you will have the option to bring suit within the jurisdiction where your injury took place. You should choose a car accident injury attorney who practices in your area, and knows how to navigate through your state’s court system.
If you are looking for an experienced Illinois auto accident attorney, Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. is ready to fight for the compensation that you deserve. Our dedicated personal injury team has successfully helped many car accident victims like you recover damages for medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering. We can guide you through each step of the legal process, from the initial investigation to the final settlement negotiation. We will also be prepared to go to trial if a favorable agreement cannot be reached.
Our car accident attorneys serve clients throughout the Chicago area, including Aurora, Elgin, Hinsdale, Joliet, Naperville, and Waukegan. Call us today at (312) 236-2900 to schedule a free, one-on-one case consultation with one of our experienced lawyers.