5 Chicago Car Accident Resources | Staver
legal blog

5 Chicago Car Accident Resources

Written by Jared Staver

Read Jared's Bio

Jared Staver is a Personal Injury Lawyer based in Chicago, Illinois and has been practicing law for over 20 years.

Jared Staver

CATEGORY: Personal Injury

There are thousands of car accidents in Chicagoland every year, and that number is only increasing. If you’re in a wreck in Northeast Illinois or the Chicago metropolitan area, these valuable resources can help guide you.

Attorney Jared Staver understands that you need help after your car accident. We offer more than legal advice. Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. can help you find appropriate medical care, get your car fixed, and move on with your life.

Call us today at (312) 236-2900 or use our online contact form. Our no win no fee lawyers take cases on a contingency fee basis. That means you don’t owe us anything unless we win your case.

1. Call the Police

Immediately after an accident, you should dial 9-1-1. However, if you don’t feel you are in an emergency situation, you can call the nonemergency number for local police. In Chicago, you can dial 3-1-1 or (312) 746-6000 to reach the Chicago communications center that dispatches police and other first responders.

2. Tow Your Vehicle

If your vehicle was damaged and cannot drive away from the scene, you will need to get a tow truck to move your car.

If you have roadside assistance, you can call your insurance company and tell them where you are located. They will find an in-network tow truck company and send it to you on I-190 Kennedy Expressway or whichever roadway you’ve crashed on.

If you have AAA, you can call them to use their emergency road service towing services. Their service is available 24/7 and can be reached at 800-AAA-HELP.

3. Going to the Emergency Room

After a wreck, you should get emergency medical treatment right away. The best place you can get treatment after an auto crash is a Level I Trauma Center. These locations are specifically staffed and prepared to treat people with serious trauma, which is common in car accidents.

Level I Trauma Centers in the Chicago area include:

4. Get the Police Report

The officer who responds to the scene of your accident will file a police report detailing what happened, citations that were issued, and witnesses at the wreck. Your attorney will need all of this information to determine who is at fault and who should be held financially responsible for your losses.

In Chicago, you can request a Traffic Crash Report online. You can also go to the Chicago Police Department Records Customer Service Section or call them at (312) 745-5130. They are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Reports cost $6.00 each.

5. Get Ongoing Medical Care

Even if you went to the emergency room after your wreck, you should follow up with a primary care physician who can review your injuries in connection with all of your prior medical history. If you don’t have a regular doctor, you can find one through Northwestern Medicine or UChicago Medicine.

When proving the severity of your condition, it will be important to have medical records from all of your medical providers. You should follow all of their recommendations and avoid any gaps in treatment. Don’t give the insurance company any red flags to use against you.

Call an Car Accident Attorney After a Wreck

If you are involved in a car accident, you need to speak with a car crash lawyer who can walk you through the next steps. Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. will handle all of the stress in your insurance claim and let you focus on getting back to your normal life.

Call us today at (312) 236-2900 or use our online contact form.

Free Consultation
(312) 236-2900
(312) 236-2900
Skip to content