Uninsured Truck Drivers | Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C.
legal blog

Uninsured Truck Drivers

Written by Jared Staver

Read Jared's Bio

Jared Staver is a Personal Injury Lawyer based in Chicago, Illinois and has been practicing law for over 20 years.

Jared Staver

CATEGORY: Personal Injury, Truck Accidents

Federal regulations require that all commercial vehicles like semi-trucks carry liability insurance. A truck’s policy should cover personal injuries, property damage, and environmental restoration. Freight trucks need between $300,000 and $5 million in coverage depending on their weight and type of cargo.

When you are in a truck accident, you rely on that driver’s insurance to cover damage to your car and injuries. However, it is possible that the truck driver is hauling cargo unlawfully, without any insurance. You may also sustain property damage and injuries that exceed the driver’s insurance policy. In either situation, you need an experienced Chicago truck accident lawyer from Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. to recover compensation. Call us today at (312) 236-2900 to schedule a consultation.

Call an Attorney Immediately

When you are in an accident with a commercial truck, you need any and all proof of what happened preserved. To support your insurance claim or a lawsuit, you will need to conduct your own investigation, which could include having the physical truck inspected or obtaining the trucking company’s records. The best way to preserve evidence and gather documentation you need is to hire an experienced Chicago truck accident lawyer. An attorney will immediate start investigating your situation and ensure the other parties do not tamper with or destroy evidence you need.

Additionally, your attorney can help you handle insurance claims or look elsewhere for recovery if the truck driver did not have enough coverage to compensate you for your injuries. When the driver at-fault for the accident does not have insurance, it can be difficult to recover. You may be able to recover damages from your own auto insurer, through the trucking company’s insurance, or through a personal injury suit against the driver and their employer.

Can Your Insurer Help?

If you only carry liability auto insurance, you likely cannot turn to your own insurer for compensation. However, if you are like many other individuals and purchased uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, you should file a claim with your insurer. Your attorney can help you review your policy and contact your insurance company if you are unsure of your policy. Additionally, you must determine whether your policy covers only bodily injury or both bodily injury and property damage.

While you may be able to recover under your uninsured/underinsured motorist policy, keep in mind your compensation will be limited by your policy limit. If you have a smaller limit, such as a $20,000 policy, you may find yourself in need of additional compensation for your injuries.

Look to the Trucking Company for Damages

Some commercial trucks are owned and operated by the driver. In this situation, the driver is ultimately responsible for insurance. However, many truckers are employees of larger businesses. It is this employer you should look to for recovery when a trucker causes an accident during work. The trucking company is the party responsible for insuring the vehicle that hit you. However, if neither the driver nor trucking company insured the vehicle in the case of an accident, you will need to seek compensation from the driver or company directly and not through an insurer.

Filing a Personal Injury Claim

In order to cover all of your losses, you may need to file a personal injury claim against the truck driver, trucking company, or both. You may file a lawsuit in addition to any insurance claim that you make. To do this, you should work with a Chicago truck accident attorney from Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C.. An experienced lawyer understands the importance of fighting for your right to compensation after being hurt in an accident. They will work to demonstrate to the court that the driver was negligent, causing the accident that led to your injuries. Due to this negligence, the driver and/or their employer should be financially responsible for your medical expenses, lost wages, disability, disfigurement, pain and suffering, and other losses.

Contact Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. Today

You may not want to head to court to recover from your accident. However, it may be your best option to obtain compensation. Without an insurance company in the picture, you must hold the individuals or business directly responsible under the law.

At Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C., we know how challenging life can be after an accident. The mounting medical bills can be impossible to pay when you have been unable to work. That is why we tenaciously fight for your rights through settlement negotiations or striving to win a beneficial jury award.

Call Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. today at (312) 236-2900 to schedule a consultation.

Free Consultation
(312) 236-2900
(312) 236-2900
Skip to content