Common Insurance Forms After an Accident | Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C.
legal blog

Common Insurance Forms After an Accident

Written by Jared Staver

Read Jared's Bio

Jared Staver is a Personal Injury Lawyer based in Chicago, Illinois and has been practicing law for over 20 years.

Jared Staver

CATEGORY: Auto Accidents, Insurance

Getting into a car accident can be frightening, and in the aftermath of the crash, you could be in shock. But, in order to recover the compensation you deserve, you should immediately gather evidence related to the wreck and fill out common insurance forms and paperwork. By doing this right away, you can avoid many common insurance issues.

If you or a loved one has sustained injuries in a car crash, you should reach out to a car accident lawyer at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. right away. We can help you file your claim with the negligent party’s insurance company and help you seek compensation.

Call us at (312) 236-2900 to set up a free consultation today.

First and Third Party Claims

After an accident, whether it was your fault or the fault of the other driver, you will likely call your insurance company to report it. This is called a first party claim. On the other hand, working with the other driver’s insurance company is known as a third-party claim. It’s important to remember that insurance companies, even yours, are going to try to pay as little as possible. Their goal is to keep as much money as they can and not to give those involved in a car accident sufficient compensation.

Whether you make a first-party or third-party claim, you should only give out basic information and consult an attorney right away. Our attorneys at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. have years of experience negotiating with insurance companies in order to help our clients receive the maximum compensation for their injuries and damages.

Medical Waivers

If you were injured or received medical treatment after the accident, the negligent party’s insurance company will likely ask you to sign a medical release form so they can access your medical records. Before you sign this form, it may be a good idea to have an attorney look it over. Medical release forms typically give the insurance provider access to your entire medical history, not just the treatment you received related to the accident. Depending on what your records indicate, the company’s legal team may try to use the information in your records to discredit your current medical claims, stating that you had prior health problems or that you are in overall poor health.

They will attempt to use anything they can to lower or dismiss your request for reimbursement of your doctor bills.

Release of Claims and Liability

The release form is probably the most common insurance form. When the insurance company is ready to offer a settlement, they will name their figure. If you agree to it, they will ask you to sign a form releasing the claim and waiving liability. Again, you may want to have a skilled attorney examine the settlement award and the release before you sign anything. Signing this particular form not only closes your claim, but it also means you can no longer receive anything from the case again. For example, if your injuries worsen down the road, you will not be entitled to seek reimbursement from the insurance company.

Call a Lawyer

When you’re up against insurance companies who aren’t concerned with giving you fair compensation, you should hire a skilled lawyer. Our attorneys at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. have negotiated with countless insurance companies on the behalf of our clients. We will help you pursue the compensation you need to repair your car, pay your medical bills, and fully recover from your crash.

Our car accident attorneys serve clients throughout the Chicago area, including Aurora, Elgin, Hinsdale, Joliet, Naperville, and Waukegan. Call us today at (312) 236-2900 to schedule a free consultation.

Free Consultation
(312) 236-2900
(312) 236-2900
Skip to content