According to ASecureLife, approximately 18,000 people die each year due to household injuries. At this alarming rate, it is important to ensure your home is as safe as it can be. However, even when you take all the necessary safety precautions, you could still suffer as a result of someone else’s recklessness or even a defective product.
If you find yourself in this situation, it is in your best interest to call a Chicago personal injury attorney at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. for help. Our skilled attorneys can assess your case and help you pursue compensation. Contact us today at (312) 236-2900 for a free case assessment.
How Can I Get Injured at Home?
Despite how hard you work to make your home a safe place for you and your family, there are a number of ways you could get hurt in your house, including:
- Burns – For children under the age of five, burns typically occur as a result of hot drinks. It is important to keep children away from hot surfaces. If you or your child do suffer a burn injury, make sure to hold the burned area under cold water for at least 10 minutes.
- Trips and Falls – Falls occur the most for young children and the elderly. Depending on the severity of the fall, you should seek medical attention right away.
- Falling Objects – It’s easy for children to grab objects without realizing that they can topple over on top of them. Thus, make sure that you keep electrical cords and other dangerous household items out of reach.
- Sprains – Sprains occur the most on the knees, ankles, and wrists. Unfortunately, not much can be done in this situation, other than icing the affected area and resting.
- Drowning – Children can drown in extremely shallow water. Therefore, you should always remember to carefully watch kids when they are in or near a water source.
- Cuts – Cuts are common household injuries. If you or your child suffers a severe cut, make sure to apply pressure to stop bleeding, and fully clean the affected area. If the blood does not stop, you should go to the emergency room, as you may be in need of stitches.
- Choking – Choking is especially prevalent in young children who often put random objects into their mouths. In this situation, call 911 right away. If you know the Heimlich Maneuver, you should do that as well.
- Poisoning – The most common types of poisoning are typically due to wrongfully ingesting medicine or other random household products. To avoid this, make sure to keep any dangerous household objects out of the reach of children.
- Bruises – Bruising commonly occurs after falls or bumping into something. However, bruises could also be a sign of a more severe problem such as a broken bone. If you think that you or your child do have a broken bone, seek medical help immediately.
- Improperly Stored Firearms – If you carry a firearm in your home, it is imperative that you ensure it is properly locked up and out of anyone else’s reach.
Who is Responsible for My Household Injury?
If you have sustained a household injury through no fault of your own, you may have a valid case and could recover compensation. There are several different claims you could file, including:
- Premises Liability Claim – Property owners are required to uphold a standard of care on their property. If this standard is breached and you or your child suffers an injury because of it, you can file a premises liability claim against the property owner.
- Product Liability Claim – Defective and malfunctioning products cause many injuries each day. If your injury is the result of a poorly manufactured product, you could file a product liability claim against the manufacturer.
- Personal Injury Claim – If you have been injured because of the carelessness of another individual, you can file a personal injury claim to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer from Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. Right Away
If you or your child are victims of an injury due to a common household product or hazard, you should call an experienced Chicago personal injury attorney at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. right away. Our attorneys can compile a case on your behalf to help you seek the compensation you deserve after suffering an injury that was not your fault.
Contact us today at (312) 236-2900 for a free legal case assessment.