Free consultation – (312) 236-2900
No Fee Until You Win. More Information
Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C.

Call (312) 236-2900
No fee until you win.

Free consultation – (312) 236-2900

Call or text me at (312) 236-2900

Chicago Personal Injury Blog

What if my Child is Injured While Visiting a Friend’s House?

by Jared Staver in Personal Injury

Children of all ages enjoy spending time with their friends at their houses. They may watch movies, run around outside, bake, play games, and engage in other enjoyable activities. If your child is at a friend’s house and calls you up to inform you that they’ve been injured, you may be wondering what your rights are.

If your child has been hurt at a friend’s house, contact Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. to speak to an experienced Chicago child injury lawyer. You can trust us to investigate your case and educate you on your legal rights. Call us at (312) 236-2900 or fill out our online contact form today.

Steps to Take if Your Child Was Hurt at a Friend’s House

If your child sustains injuries while visiting a friend’s house, it’s important to take the following steps:

  • Find out if their parents have homeowner’s insurance: If the house your child was injured in is owned by their friend’s parents and they have a mortgage, they likely have homeowners insurance. It’s a good idea to reach out to the parents, inform them of your child’s injuries and collect details about their policy so you can file a claim. In the event the friend lives in an apartment or rented condo or house, ask about renter’s insurance information.
  • Gather evidence: Before you go through the process of filing a claim, you’ll need to gather evidence to prove that an incident at your child’s friend’s house led to their injuries. Evidence such as the exact location of the incident that led to the injuries, medical documentation that shows the full extent of the injuries, medical bills and receipts that prove how much your child’s medical care costs, and photographs of torn carpeting, loose tiles, or anything else that caused the accident is all vital.
  • Do not speak to the insurance company right away: While it may be tempting to call up the homeowners or renters insurance company and file a claim on your own, it’s important to refrain from doing so until you consult a lawyer.
  • Speak to a lawyer: A lawyer can investigate your case and let you know whether filing a claim is an option for you and how much your claim may be worth. They can also negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf so you can focus on recovering.

Common Incidents and Injuries Covered by Homeowners or Renters Insurance

There are a number of incidents and injuries that may be covered by the homeowners or renter’s insurance policy that your child’s friend’s parents may have. These include:

  • Slipping on a driveway
  • Falling down the stairs
  • Getting bit by a dog or attacked by another animal
  • Drowning in a pool
  • Tripping over electrical wires

In the event the property your child sustained an injury at is not covered by any type of insurance policy, you may be able to speak to their friend’s parents and convince them to cover all or at least some of your child’s medical bills.

Contact Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C.

If your child has been injured while spending time at a friend’s house, consult Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. We know it may be uncomfortable to file a claim against the insurance company of someone you may see on a regular basis or your child has a close relationship with; we are here to do so on your behalf.

Remember, if your child gets hurt because their friend’s parents failed to supervise them or had hazards in their home, there’s nothing wrong with holding them accountable for the damages. Call us at (312) 236-2900 or fill out our online contact form today.