Chicago Birth Injury & Trauma Lawyer
All it takes is for that one mistake to change your whole life, leaving you with a tragic situation. When you or your infant is forced to suffer due to the effects of a permanent injury or death, it changes your life forever. No one should have to go through such a traumatizing ordeal, especially when life-long care or expensive medical treatment involved may have resulted from the negligence or mistake of a healthcare professional that could have been prevented.
There can be nothing more devastating when you or your child become the victim of medical malpractice due to birth complications. You have every right to expect that medical procedures will be properly performed when delivering your infant.
When the unthinkable happens and injury to the mother or child during pregnancy or delivery is sustained, the Chicago birth injury attorneys at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. are here to help secure your financial future so you may focus on caring for your family. The amount of financial compensation you receive will never change what has happened, but it can help you establish a more stable future moving forward.
Concern for You and Your Baby
Never assume that due to complications during birth, your case is unusual. Physicians are knowledgeable and skilled health care providers who have been trained to handle complicated and unexpected birth procedures when situations arise. It is no excuse.
An improper delivery technique that leads to birth complications is reasonable cause for concern and your healthcare provider’s conduct should be investigated.
Although it is important to trust your doctor or nurse, it is also important to listen to your body and your child’s well-being. You should be able to question your doctors and advocate for your or your loved ones’ health but if you sense something is not right — ask an experienced Chicago birth injury attorney to investigate your case.
The medical malpractice lawyers at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. have the resources and expertise to fight for your legal rights when faced with the aftermath from birth complications. Serious complications and deaths from childbirth are a rising concern in the United States and according to recent data gathered within the last decade from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, birth complications are a leading cause of disability and occasionally death. Often patients may be concerned that doctors will learn of their case and refuse further treatment. Other times there may be a misguided belief that taking action will increase the cost of their current medical care.
However, if you ever feel you are a victim of a birth complication, take affirmative action and call a birth injury attorney today.
Common Birth Complications
There are many instances but common birth complications can include:
- Birth Asphyxia or Cerebral Hypoxia: Birth asphyxia or cerebral hypoxia means your baby was deprived of oxygen sometime before, during, or right after, delivery.
- Birth Infections: Infants may develop infections because their immune systems against infections are not well developed. The more premature a baby is, the more likely an infection will happen.
- Cephalopelvic Disproportion: This essentially means that an infant’s head is too large to fit through its mother’s pelvis.
- Cerebral Palsy Due to Birth Injury: A non-progressive brain injury typically due to damage sustained before or during birth.
- Delayed C-Section: A C-section not performed when it should have is considered to be a delayed C-section. It can result in serious complications including death of the newborn.
- Erb’s Palsy: This is a type of nerve damage that results from birth injury due to a difficult delivery.
- Fetal Distress: If a doctor fails to notice or react to signs of fetal distress, your baby could suffer permanent injury.
- Forced C-Section: This is a C-section performed against the mother’s will. During high risk pregnancies and deliveries, it may be the only option.
- Forceps and Vacuum Extractions: A doctor uses either forceps or a vacuum extraction to help pull the baby down through the birth canal but sometimes improper use results in serious injury.
- Gestational Diabetes Errors and Malpractice: Gestational diabetes is often manageable with the care and monitoring of a physician. However, when a doctor fails to adequately treat or monitor gestational diabetes, serious injury can result.
- Newborn Brain Injury: Newborns may suffer brain injury at birth, bringing lifelong medical complications, sometimes due to a doctor’s failure to take preventative action.
- Postpartum Negligence: When a mother is neglected after childbirth or the newborn does not receive the proper standard of care, this is considered to be postpartum negligence.
- Preeclampsia and Eclampsia: A disorder characterized by high blood pressure and excess protein in the urine is known as preeclampsia. Severe cases of preeclampsia can lead to eclampsia.
- Shoulder Dystocia: When a baby’s shoulder gets stuck behind its mother’s pubic bone while it is being pushed through the birth canal.
- Untreated Jaundice: Due to the immaturity of the liver, many newborns are at risk for developing jaundice.
- Water Breaking Too Early: Early labor can be triggered when your waters break before your baby is ready, also known medically as preterm premature rupture of the membranes, or PPROM.
- Wrongful Death of a Mother During Childbirth: When a previously healthy mother dies unexpectedly during childbirth, the grief can be even more overwhelming.
Seek an Experienced Chicago Birth Injury Lawyer
No one should have to suffer through the aftermath resulting from birth complications. If you or someone you know suspects injury was sustained during labor or delivery, do not delay in contacting Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. at (312) 236-2900. We will review the evidence and make a determination regarding your case. If you suspect that you or a loved one has been subjected to birth complications, contacting an experienced Chicago birth injury attorney should be your next step.