Will My Car Insurance Rate Go Up If Someone Hits Me? | Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C.
legal blog

Will My Car Insurance Rate Go Up If Someone Hits Me?

Written by Jared Staver

Read Jared's Bio

Jared Staver is a Personal Injury Lawyer based in Chicago, Illinois and has been practicing law for over 20 years.

Jared Staver

CATEGORY: Auto Accidents

While required to have car insurance if you’re on the road, many people are still uncertain about the details of their coverage. We understand that our insurance must be there for us if we are at fault in an accident, but many of us are left wondering: will my car insurance rate go up if someone hits me? Unfortunately, the answer to this question is usually unclear.

To seek answers regarding your rights as an insured motorist in an accident, contact our attorneys at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. to discuss your case with a knowledgeable attorney.

Call today at (312) 236-2900 to schedule a free consultation.

Who Was At Fault In Your Car Accident?

After you are in an accident with another driver, the police will assign fault in their report. If the other person hit you, then this should be noted in the official incident report. However, whether or not the state in which your accident occurred is an at-fault state will determine to what extent your insurance may have to pay and could possibly raise your rates as a result.

  • At-fault states hold that the driver who is found to be at fault in an accident is responsible to pay for all medical and property damages in an accident with their insurance.
  • No-fault states hold that a driver’s own insurance must pay for medical expenses after an accident, and this is applied equally to all parties regardless of fault.

If someone else hits you in a no-fault state, your insurance will be required to pay for any medical injuries you sustain. It is possible that your rates will go up if the insurance reviews your policy after this payout. The payout rule in no-fault states may seem unfair to the innocent party, but some states choose this rule since it results in fewer lawsuits between parties. Like most states, Illinois is an at-fault state, and the guilty person in your accident will be responsible for your medical and property damages.

Hit And Run Accidents

If you are the victim of a hit and run accident, it is easy to feel outraged, even if there is not serious damage. As the innocent party in this instance, you may expect your insurance to cover the damages to your vehicle, but in some cases a person’s insurance rate may go up after filing a claim due to a hit and run. If damages are minimal, some people decide to not call the police after a hit and run. But, your insurance may want documentation about your accident, and a police report will often make your claim easier to pursue.

After a serious hit and run accident, you should call the police and immediately file a claim. Even if the damages were not particularly severe, you should also always call the police if your accident happened while you were driving on a public roadway. It is not always known what your insurance provider will do after you file a claim in a less serious hit and run. If you file numerous hit and run claims, your insurance company may demand documentation before paying the damages. They could also raise your rates due to these filings or if they perceive that you live or drive in a dangerous area where accidents often occur.

Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. Can Help

There are many different car insurance companies, and a variety of policies that are offered to different drivers. You may have an insurance company that is more understanding, and will not think to raise your rate when you are hit by someone else. However, some insurance companies have strict protocols which require them to review your policy every time you file a claim. This will often result in higher rates for you and your family.

If you or a loved one has been in an accident caused by someone else, contact an experienced Chicago car accident lawyer at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C.. Our car accident attorneys serve clients throughout the Chicago area, including Aurora, Elgin, Hinsdale, Joliet, Naperville, and Waukegan. We have years of experience working with insurance companies, and we understand how to help you seek the damages you deserve. Call us today at (312) 236-2900.

Free Consultation
(312) 236-2900
(312) 236-2900
Skip to content