Lime is one of the largest electric scooter share companies in the world. It has recently announced that it will remove its Okai scooters from every city across the globe. The company determined that these scooters could break apart while in use. If you’ve been injured by an Okai scooter in Chicago, reach out to the Chicago scooter accident lawyers at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. today by calling (312) 236-2900 or use our online contact form.
The Dangers of Lime’s Okai Scooters
All of the scooters in Lime’s fleet that were manufactured by a Chinese company called Okai will be taken off the streets in all the cities they serve. Lime received reports of these scooters breaking and stated that they are working with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to determine why these scooters may break.
Lime has plans to replace the Okai scooters in its fleets with other models and does not expect any service disruptions. Although the use of electric scooters has grown, safety concerns have increased after the first scooter related death happened in D.C. a few months ago.
Lime riders in cities across the country have frequently used social media to report that they’ve seen Lime’s scooters damaged in half, where the baseboard meets the stem. The Okai scooter recall follows another recent Lime recall, which involved its Segway Nineboat scooters whose batteries smoldered or in some cases, caught on fire.
What to Do If You’re Injured in an Electric Scooter Accident
There are several things you should do if you sustain an injury as a result of an electric scooter accident. Our firm recommends the following:
- End the ride: Right after the accident, use the electric scooter app to end the ride.
- Report a scooter flaw: If you believe a flaw with the scooter led to the accident, report the flaw to the company so that they can disable the scooter and prevent others from using it.
- Photograph the scooter: Use your smartphone or camera to take photos of the scooter and its handlebars. This can help you easily identify the model in the future. If the scooter features a faulty component, photograph the component as well.
- Collect witness information: If there was anyone who saw the accident occur, it’s essential to ask them for their name and phone number. Witness testimony could help you if you decide to pursue a claim against the scooter company.
- Visit the doctor: By visiting the doctor, you can determine what types of injuries you sustained and receive documentation that can be used to prove how much compensation will be necessary to cover your medical bills.
- Contact a scooter accident lawyer: Accidents that involve electric scooters can be complicated, making it important for you to secure experienced legal representation. A lawyer can help you determine liability and may be able to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other damages on your behalf.
Electric Scooter Safety Tips
To reduce your risk of sustaining an injury while riding an electric scooter, be sure to follow these tips.
- Wear safety gear: If possible, invest in elbow pads, knee pads, and helmets that are specifically designed for electric scooters or motorbikes.
- Ride the scooter alone: An electric scooter is designed for a single person. Therefore, ride it alone rather than trying to accompany your child or anyone else.
- Stop riding if there is a problem: If you notice an operating issue with your scooter, stop riding it until the issue is resolved.
- Refrain from stunts: Electric scooters are not made for stunts. They are for a single person and cannot withstand a great deal of pressure.
Injured in an Electric Scooter Accident? Contact Staver Accident Injury Lawyers
If you’ve been hurt in an electric scooter accident, it is in your best interest to consult Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. as soon as possible. We can inform you of your legal options and ensure your rights are protected. Call us at (312) 236-2900 today for a free, no-obligation consultation, or use our online contact form to reach out.