Information on Illinois Traffic Crash Reports | Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C.
legal blog

Information on Illinois Traffic Crash Reports

Written by Jared Staver

Read Jared's Bio

Jared Staver is a Personal Injury Lawyer based in Chicago, Illinois and has been practicing law for over 20 years.

Jared Staver

CATEGORY: Auto Accidents

In the state of Illinois, if a driver is involved is a vehicle accident that results in bodily injury, death, or over $1,500 of damage to property (when all drivers are insured), each driver must file an accident report. If any of the drivers involved in the crash does not have insurance, the property damage minimum is $500. If a police officer does not visit the crash scene while you are still present, you must file an accident report with the Illinois State Police, the sheriff’s office, or the local police department. Illinois traffic crash reports enable investigators to put together the pieces these incidents helping to determine crash causes and the responsibilities of those involved.

Drivers involved in traffic crashes on a Toll Way in the state of Illinois should contact ISP District 15 at (630) 241-6800. Drivers involved in a vehicle crash on a freeway in Cook County (Chicago metro area) may file a crash report in person with a state trooper – the report should be filed within 10 days of the accident.

If you’ve been in a car accident and suffered significant damage to your vehicle or injuries to yourself or a loved one, you may have questions about what to do next. A lawyer at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. can help you sort out the situation, help you file a vehicle crash report, and offer you legal advice. We can determine if your losses merit a personal injury lawsuit to recover compensation.

For a free legal consultation, call us today at (312) 236-2900.

Motorists Responsibilities After a Crash

If you have been involved in a vehicle crash and are present when a police officer or state trooper arrives, you should be prepared to share pertinent information with the investigator(s) – which may include:

  • Driver’s license
  • Proof of liability insurance
  • Vehicle registration
  • Phone number

All of these items are relevant to the Illinois traffic crash report filed by the officer on the scene.

As well, you may file a report on a hit-and-run crash at the below-designated police departments in Chicago and surrounding localities. Patrol troopers are sent to the following departments Mon. through Fri. from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 3 a.m. to investigate these incidents – reports may be filed in person anytime over the weekend as well.

  • Chicago – 1st District
  • Chicago – 5th District
  • Chicago – 11th District
  • Chicago – 16th District
  • Lansing
  • Northfield
  • Oak Forest
  • Summit
  • Westchester

When you arrive at one of the above police stations, call (847) 294-4400 and ask for a trooper to assist you at that location. Crash reports may also be filed anytime at Illinois State Police District Chicago – 9511 West Harrison Street, Des Plaines, IL 60016.

Obtaining Copies of Illinois Traffic Crash Reports

You may obtain a copy of your crash report by email using E-PAY.

Otherwise, in order to obtain a copy of a crash report, you must first verify that the report was taken by the Illinois State Police. In the motorist report, the ‘Investigated By’ box in the upper left-hand corner of the document should read ‘Illinois State Police. If it does not, you will need to call the agency that investigated the crash in order to obtain a copy of your report.

If you do not possess the original motorists report, contact the Patrol Records Unit at (217) 785-0614 to find out if the Illinois State Police (ISP) took the initial report. If the crash took place within a municipality, the ISP may not have handled the report.

Submit a written request in self-addressed, stamped envelope to the Illinois State Police as follows:

Include the following information:

  • Agency crash report number
  • IDOT number
  • Driver and/or passenger’s name
  • Date of crash
  • Check or money order for $5 for crash reports and $20 for crash reconstruction reports – make payable to ‘Illinois State Police’
  • Address your request to:

Illinois State Police
Patrol Records Section
801 South 7th Street, Suite 700-A
Springfield, Illinois 62703

Our car accident attorneys serve clients throughout the Chicago area, including Aurora, Elgin, Hinsdale, Joliet, Naperville, and Waukegan. Don’t delay in getting the advice and counsel you need in the aftermath of your vehicle crash. A lawyer from our team at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. is ready to listen to your story, help you file an accident report, and assist you in moving forward with any viable claim for compensation. Contact us today at (312) 236-2900.

Free Consultation
(312) 236-2900
(312) 236-2900
Skip to content