Can I Receive Compensation If I’m Not Physically Hurt in a Crash? | Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C.
legal blog

Can I Receive Compensation If I’m Not Physically Hurt in a Crash?

Written by Jared Staver

Read Jared's Bio

Jared Staver is a Personal Injury Lawyer based in Chicago, Illinois and has been practicing law for over 20 years.

Jared Staver

CATEGORY: Auto Accidents

People who were injured in a car accident due to another’s negligence generally file a claim with the other driver’s insurance company to get reimbursed for their medical bills. But, many people often wonder if they can still collect damages if they do not suffer physical injuries in a crash. While it is possible to receive compensation for other damages, you should consult with an experienced lawyer to determine the best course of action for your case.

Our Chicago car accident attorneys at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. have years of experience helping car accident victims, and we can discuss your legal options. Call us today at (312) 236-2900 to schedule a free consultation with a knowledgable lawyer.

You Can Receive Compensation for Damaged Property

While you may have been able to escape your car accident without suffering physical injuries, your car might not have been so lucky. It’s common to walk away from a car accident that severely damaged your automobile. It could take weeks to repair, or the insurance company might total your vehicle. In either case, you may be left without transportation for a while.

You are entitled to compensation to have your car repaired or to get money for a new car, if necessary. Because you were not at fault for the accident, the other driver’s insurance company will be responsible for paying your settlement to cover your costs. This includes car repairs, new car costs, or fees for renting a car temporarily.

You Can Recover for Emotional Stress

While you may not have been physically hurt, a car accident can be a traumatic event, and you may have been afraid you were not going to live through it. Stressful incidents like these can take a toll on your emotions, leaving you feeling anxious and frightened. Emotional stress can affect your health leading to trouble sleeping or eating or feeling afraid to leave the house, go to work, or step out of your bedroom.

Emotional stress, known also as pain and suffering, is just as damaging as physical pain and should be taken just as seriously. You might need to see a therapist and possibly get prescribed medication to help you sleep or alleviate your depression and anxiety. If this is the case, you should get reimbursed for items like your therapy bills or pharmaceuticals. Be sure to keep copies of all bills related to recovery from your pain and suffering, so you can add it to your settlement claim.

You Don’t Have to Accept the First Offer

Car insurance companies care more about holding onto as much money as possible rather than giving car accident victims fair compensation. Because you weren’t injured, an insurance adjuster may see an opportunity to offer a lower settlement. It is important to remember that it’s perfectly fine to negotiate with them if the first offer is too low. If you’re worried about negotiating your settlement, you should consult a lawyer who will do so on your behalf.

Call a Lawyer Today

While you were not been physically hurt in a car accident, you may still have the right to compensation. Damage to personal property or emotional stress can be costly, and when they are the result of another person’s negligence, they shouldn’t be your problem.

Before talking to the insurance company, you may want to consult a lawyer about your situation. Our attorneys serve clients throughout the Chicago area, including Aurora, Elgin, Hinsdale, Joliet, Naperville, and Waukegan.

Contact us today at (312) 236-2900 to schedule a free case consultation.

Free Consultation
(312) 236-2900
(312) 236-2900
Skip to content