After an accident, you need to find a Chicago personal injury lawyer to help you with your claim and negotiate a settlement. This is particularly important when the party responsible for your injuries is a business with a team of lawyers on its side. Without an attorney who knows the law and can aggressively protect your rights, you may be at a significant disadvantage.
The first step to finding an attorney is to search for recommendations. The next step is to schedule an initial consultation with someone who appears knowledgeable and experienced in your type of situation. The consultation is your time to learn about your rights in regard to the accident and determine whether a lawyer is the right fit for you and your family. Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. offers a free, confidential initial consultation with an attorney so that we can get to know each other before you are under any type of obligation.
Call an experienced Chicago personal injury lawyer today at (312) 236-2900 to schedule an initial consultation and start building your case to obtain compensation.
What to Bring to Your Consultation
Your initial consultation will give you an opportunity to ask questions and learn more about your legal options. To take full advantage of your initial consultation, there are some things you can bring to your meeting, including:
- A written description of the accident – During a consultation, you are going to need to describe the accident and your injuries. However, it can help to bring a written, detailed, and chronological description of the incident to make sure nothing is left out.
- The names and contact information of witnesses – If there were other people around when you were hurt, give their names and contact information to your attorney. Your lawyer may or may not need their statements, however, this can help them learn more about what happened and prepare for your claim.
- The police report – If there was a police report made regarding your accident, obtain a copy to bring to your consultation. This offers the attorney another perspective regarding what happened and information as to whether anyone was ticketed or arrested in relation to the event.
- Your medical records – One of the most crucial elements of a personal injury claim is proving your injuries. Your medical records offer an attorney a wealth of information, including the type and extent of your injuries.
- Receipts of expenses related to your injuries – Injuries after an accident often lead to a lot of out-of-pocket expenses. Bring copies of receipts for these expenses. This could be anything from in-home care and medical equipment to travel expenses for treatments.
- Photos or videos of your injuries – A picture is worth a thousand words. To ensure your lawyer understands what you went through, bring pictures or videos of your injuries. This is particularly important if you have healed a great deal since the accident. Your description may not convey the extent of your injuries and the pain they caused you.
- Information regarding your wages – If you were out of work for a period of time, or are still out of work due to your injuries, bring information about your wages to give the attorney an idea of your lost income due to the accident. This may include pay stubs or a bank statement.
- Your relevant insurance information – You should bring information regarding whatever insurance policy may be relevant to the accident such as your health, auto, renter, or homeowner policy.
- Any correspondence with the other party or its insurer – You may have already spoken with the responsible party or its insurer. If this is the case, bring your attorney any letters and emails. If you spoke on the phone, tell your lawyer the date, time, who you spoke with, and what was discussed.
- A list of your questions – At an initial consultation, both you and your attorney can learn more about one another. It is often best to bring a list of questions you want to ask so you do not forget anything.
Contact Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. Today
Although you don’t have to have this information when meeting with an attorney for the first time, it can be beneficial to bring it to get the most out of your first meeting. If you were hurt in an accident, do not hesitate to schedule a free consultation with Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. We understand how difficult it can be to learn about the law and handle an insurance claim after an accident.
That is why we offer you the knowledge and resources you need to take tasks off your plate and fight for your right to compensation. We want you to concentrate on getting better while we focus on obtaining you damages for your injuries.
Call Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. today at (312) 236-2900 to schedule a consultation as soon as possible.