Chicago Passenger Injury Lawyer
It can be a frustrating experience to be injured as a passenger in someone else’s vehicle. You weren’t driving, so someone else is at fault — perhaps even a friend or family member. For more on being a passenger in a car accident and how a Chicago passenger injury lawyer can help, continue reading below.
If you have suffered a passenger injury in a car accident, reach out to a attorney at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. today to learn about your legal options and protect your rights.
Call us right away at (312) 236-2900 to arrange a no-cost case assessment.
The Rights of Injured Passengers
From a legal standpoint, pursuing a claim for compensation may be easier for you as a passenger because there’s no question that someone else is liable for your injuries. But, it may be harder from an emotional standpoint if the driver who is responsible is someone you are close to.
Regardless of who caused your injuries, Illinois law says you have a right to compensation for injuries caused by someone else’s negligence, recklessness, or intentional action. That compensation typically comes in the form of an insurance claim, but if the insurance company disputes the facts, a lawsuit may be necessary.
If your claim is successful, you may be financially compensated for your medical bills, any lost wages, pain and suffering, disability and disfigurement, and loss of normal life. To increase your chances of collecting fair and full compensation, consult a Chicago passenger injury lawyer.
Common Passenger Injuries
Some common types of passenger injuries in car accidents include:
- Head Injuries: An impact may cause your head to strike the side window, front window, or the headrest in a way that results in your brain moving inside your skull. This can cause skull fractures or a traumatic brain injury such as a concussion. Head injuries can be life-threatening or lead to permanent impairments.
- Back and Neck Injuries: Back and neck injuries are common in motor vehicle accidents, and they can be painful and result in permanent disability. When the back or neck takes the force of an auto accident impact, you may suffer herniated or bulging discs, broken vertebrae, or spinal cord damage.
- Chest Injuries: If your chest bears the force of the impact, you may suffer bruises, broken ribs, or damage to internal organs. Chest injuries can be very serious, perhaps life-threatening.
- Broken Bones: A T-bone or side impact crash may cause your body to collide with the car door. That kind of impact with hard metal can cause arm or leg bones to break.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: Soft tissue injuries are very common in auto collisions. Stretched or torn muscles, tendons, and ligaments can cause pain for a long period of time and aren’t always immediately apparent after an accident. This type of injury is perhaps the one most often disputed by insurance companies.
- Cuts, Scrapes, and Bruises: Cuts, scrapes, and bruises may be minor and may just take a few days to heal. However, some cuts could be more serious and disfiguring and require plastic surgery to minimize scars.
What to Do After Sustaining a Passenger Injury
After you’ve been a passenger in a car accident, you may be disoriented and confused. To protect your health and rights, there are certain steps you should take. First, seek medical attention even if you believe you are okay or your injury is minor. You should keep in mind that failing to see a doctor immediately can hurt you in the event your condition worsens or your injury is not immediately apparent.
Once you’ve taken care of your health, call the police so that a police report can be filed. The police report will include the details of your case and can support your claim if you decide to file one down the road. You should also take photographs of the accident scene as well as all the vehicles involved.
Lastly, call a Chicago passenger injury lawyer. We can conduct a thorough investigation of your case and help you determine liability. With legal representation by your side, we will help you obtain the maximum compensation you may be entitled to.
How a Chicago Passenger Injury Lawyer Can Help
Auto accidents can be complicated and traumatic events. If you’ve been seriously injured, your focus should be on healing and not on the red tape of insurance claims. An experienced Chicago passenger injury lawyer can help with your claim from the initial investigation to negotiating a settlement or trying the case in court. Your lawyer can evaluate the facts of your crash and your injuries and talk to insurance companies on your behalf to get the compensation you deserve.
Call Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. Today
If you were a passenger in a car accident and suffered an injury, it is in your best interest to call Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. to speak to an experienced Chicago passenger injury lawyer today. We can help you pursue compensation for your losses. Contact us right away at (312) 236-2900 to schedule a free case evaluation.