How Can an Illinois Truck Accident Attorney Help After an Accident?
Commercial truck accidents are, unfortunately, a common reality on Illinois highways. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), 327,000 accidents involving large trucks occurred in 2013 throughout the United States.
Various factors contribute to that high number every year, from poor weather conditions to tight deadlines that force a driver into longer hauls than they should attempt.
These are just a few of the factors that can be investigated in the event of a commercial truck collision. If you’ve been involved in an accident, it is vital to reach out to a knowledgeable truck accident injury attorney who can fully investigate all aspects of the case and demand fair compensation on your behalf.
Why do commercial truck accidents occur?
The reasons behind commercial truck accidents are numerous. They may include:
- A truck driver may become distracted by a cell phone, GPS system, or portable DVD player.
- A fatigued or exhausted truck driver may work a longer shift than is legally allowed.
- A hurried truck driver may rear-end or T-bone a smaller vehicle while making unsafe turns at an intersection.
How will an attorney investigate an Illinois commercial truck accident?
A qualified, thorough Illinois truck accident attorney will take all necessary steps to fully investigate an accident. Some of those steps may include the following:
- Talking with witnesses: An attorney will work with eyewitnesses who saw the collision and expert witnesses who can offer analysis based on their expertise in a given field, including highway safety experts, mental health professionals, medical providers, and economists.
- Analyze logbook records: We will seek to analyze and review all applicable logbook records. These could indicate whether a driver’s workload may have led to exhaustion or fatigue, both of which are common factors in commercial truck accidents.
- Examine black box records: Trucks are equipped with an event data recorder (EDR), commonly known as a “black box.” The EDR may track data that attorneys can use to present a case, including the truck’s speed at the time of a crash, braking history, hours of operation, and airbag deployment.
- Licensing: We will fully vet a truck driver in any accident to ensure they were current with all necessary licenses and certifications.
How An Illinois Truck Accident Attorney Can Help You
You will no doubt have a myriad of questions in the wake of a commercial truck accident: Who was at fault? Did fatigue or distraction play a factor? Was the truck driver following laws and regulations?
We at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. want to find these answers (and more) to provide peace of mind and help you move on with your life. Following an accident, we will review any and all records at our disposal, talk with witnesses, and craft a case that demands justice on your behalf.
If you’ve been involved in an Illinois commercial truck accident, contact Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. today at (312) 236-2900 for a complimentary consult and to review your accident with an accomplished attorney.