Free consultation – (312) 236-2900
No Fee Until You Win. More Information
Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C.

Call (312) 236-2900
No fee until you win.

Free consultation – (312) 236-2900

Call or text me at (312) 236-2900

Chicago Personal Injury Blog

Reporting a Car Accident to Police

by Jared Staver in Auto Accidents, Personal Injury

When you are in a car accident, you are typically confused and anxious about what will happen next. It is important to stay calm and remain at the scene of the accident until the police arrive. In fact, Illinois law requires that you report a car accident to the police in certain circumstances. It is best to err on the side of safety and always call authorities after an accident.
If you were involved in an Illinois car accident, call our Chicago personal injury attorneys at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. today at (312) 236-2900.

Requirements for Reporting a Car Accident

If you are in a car accident, you may need to report it to law enforcement. Illinois requires individuals involved in a car accident that results in an injury, death, or property damage over $1,500 (or $500 for uninsured drivers) to call the police and report the accident. This call should be made within a reasonable amount of time after the accident, though it does not have to be the very first thing you do. Of course, if you are physically incapacitated by the crash, you do not need to call 911. However, a passenger or other driver is required to contact the authorities to report the crash in such an event.

If you had to report the accident to the police, you also have to file a written report with the Illinois Department of Transportation within 10 days of the accident. You can obtain a form from your local police to report your accident.

Penalties for Not Reporting an Accident

If you are involved in accident that results in any personal injuries or death, both you and the other driver must stop your vehicles and stay at the scene until first responders arrive and you can provide information or aid. If you did not or could not stop at the scene, you must report the accident to the police as soon as possible. You will need to provide information regarding when and where the accident occurred and the names of everyone in the vehicle at the time.

Not filing a report can have serious consequences. The Illinois Secretary of State can suspend your driver’s license. If you were in an accident that led to your injury, a person’s death, or damage to your vehicle or property valued at more than $1,500 and you did not file any report with the police or state, you may face serious fines and incarceration.

A Lawyer Can Help You

Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. has years of experience helping people after car accidents. If you are confused about what to do next, we can guide you through the process of submitting an accident report and dealing with insurance companies to recover compensation for your losses. Call us today at (312) 236-2900 to find out how we can help you.