Though motor vehicle collisions remain among the top causes of accidental death in the U.S., pedestrian accidents have a particularly high number. A recent study by the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) reveals unexpected increases from 2014 to 2016, both in the number of pedestrian deaths and percentage of incidents compared to the previous years. While some cities are more dangerous than others, the need for a pedestrian accident lawyer is still critical for victims seeking compensation for their injuries.
Many pedestrians around the Chicago area choose to walk for convenience, health and well-being, and to enjoy the outdoors. Unfortunately, negligent drivers pose a significant risk to pedestrians. As an injured victim, you may be able to recover compensation for your losses, and a dedicated Chicago pedestrian accident lawyer at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. can assist you with your claim.
Contact us at (312) 236-2900 for a free consultation right away.
Most Dangerous Cities for Pedestrians
Chicago may not have made the GHSA list, but you should still exercise caution when traveling for business, pleasure, or other reasons. The statistics show that:
- Several large cities in Florida have seen increases in pedestrian accidents in recent years, including Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville, West Palm Beach, and Sarasota. High tourism, a healthy economy, and a sizeable surge of snowbirds are listed as factors.
- California, Texas, Florida, and New York accounted for 42 percent of all pedestrian fatalities during the first half of 2015. These same states comprise 33 percent of the entire US population.
- Other dangerous cities for pedestrians include Memphis, Baton Rouge, Detroit, and Phoenix.
Why Pedestrian Accidents Happen
Avoiding travel to the most dangerous cities for people on foot may provide some assurance statistically, but the reasons behind pedestrian accidents exist throughout the U.S. Generally, more Americans are walking, making them more likely to share roadways and adjoining walkways with drivers. Plus, the perception that intersections are more dangerous than other walking spaces may provide a false sense of security, as 82 percent of pedestrian deaths do not occur at street crossings. Other reasons for pedestrian accidents include:
- Distracted driving, which is a factor for both pedestrians and drivers who are not focused on conducting themselves safely
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or other drugs
- Failing to obey traffic signals or signage
- Poor lighting or street design
- Weather and road conditions
- Increased traffic volume during rush hours or special events
- Different situations involving negligence
Speak with a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C.
Pedestrians are extremely vulnerable in traffic-related accidents. Victims tend to suffer fatal injuries, as the GHSA study revealed, and those that do survive suffer considerable losses.
With a pedestrian accident lawyer, you can seek compensation for your losses. Our attorneys at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. represent victims of pedestrian accidents, helping them pursue claims with the negligent driver’s insurance company and in court. Contact us at (312) 236-2900 to set up a free consultation today.