Chicago Intersection Accidents
Intersections can be tricky – even for the most experienced drivers. Whether the intersection goes two, three or four ways or involves stop lights or stop signs, foreseeing the moves that the other drivers will make is easier said than done.
Intersections are common places for accidents. That’s because there are so many factors that can affect one’s ability to make it through the intersection safely. Pedestrians, lack of turn signals, confusing roads and signals, poor signage, and distracted motorists can all affect other vehicles and cause serious crashes, especially at high speeds.
If you have been injured in a crash at an intersection, our lawyers can help. Our lawyers can evaluate your case and determine who caused the accident. You’ll also understand what legal options are available to you. Call us today at (312) 236-2900.
Causes of Intersection Accidents
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), poor signage, confusing lanes and blind spots are to blame for most fatal accidents. Many intersections lack left-hand turn lanes, which means that drivers have to be quick in order to execute these turns. Senior citizens tend to be slower, which makes them vulnerable to crashes. By installing these turn lanes, accidents can be reduced by as much as 30 percent, according to the NHTSA.
Business districts and school zones tend to have more foot traffic, which makes pedestrians more likely to be involved in a crash caused by an impatient driver. To remedy this situation, many cities have incorporated walking bridges, underpasses, and overpasses for pedestrians to cross streets without having to worry about being hit by motorists. This also helps put motorists at ease.
Unclear road signs can also lead to accidents. If a motorist has to slow down to read a sign, they could be hit from behind. In addition, some signs are difficult to read in the dark, at a time when they are most important. Larger signs made of reflective material can help in this regard.
Along the same lines, lack of lighting is also an issue. This is especially true in rural areas, where there are typically no street lights. Having lights at intersections can help motorists see others and prevent accidents.
Dangerous Intersections in Chicago
- Cicero and I-55 – This intersection is next to Chicago Midway International Airport, which means it can get pretty backed up. If you do have to cross this intersection, travel with care and be extra alert.
- Belmont and Kedzie – This intersection appears beneath a freeway underpass and resembles a cave. The constant darkness reduces visibility, making it hard to see the cars in other directions.
- North, Damen, and Milwaukee – This busy intersection in Wicker Park often has traffic backed up in all three directions. Whether you’re in a car, riding a bike, or on foot, you need to be extra vigilant when attempting to cross this intersection.
- Irving Park, Cicero, and Milwaukee –This six-way intersection, complete with shopping centers and long red lights, is enough to get even the most patient driver frustrated. It’s difficult to cross this street on foot, in a car, or by bike, so if you can, avoid it.
- Stony Island, 79th, and South Chicago – You’ll find this six-way intersection under a couple freeway ramps, and the beams in the way challenge even those with eagle-eye vision, making a left turn is especially frustrating.
Legal Help for Intersection Accidents
Intersection accidents can be deadly. If you do survive, you may be living with pain, injuries, or disfigurement for a very long time – maybe even the rest of your life.
In the case of an intersection accident, there are many factors at play. There are many things that can be done to help with poor road design. More lights, well-maintained roads, and more turn signals can help drivers navigate the roadways safely. If these elements caused your crash, there are several legal options available to you.
An experienced attorney can evaluate your case and help you move on from an injury accident. You may be able to recover compensation for physical injuries, emotional damages, and more. To learn more, call Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. today at (312) 236-2900 or contact us online for a free consultation.