When drivers ignore traffic regulations by making an improper turn or U-turn at an intersection, serious car accidents can result. Many times, improper turns happen due to simple carelessness, such as when a driver fails to check for signs or forgets to use his or her turn signals. Examples of improper turns include:
- Making a right turn at a red light when there is a ‘no turn on red’ posting
- Making a left turn at a red light
- Failing to fully stop and yield to oncoming traffic before turning at a stop sign
- Turning into a road or lane without signaling
- Making an illegal U-turn on a divided highway
- Failing to use the designated lane for right or left turns
Illinois, like most states, requires drivers to approach from the right-hand lane or edge of the roadway for a right turn and stay closest to the left-hand lane for a left turn (625 ILCS 5/11-801). Traffic rules regarding turns exist to help prevent unwanted collisions. However, we all know that not every driver follows the rules.
Improper turns are among the top 25 causes of car crashes. When a driver breaks a traffic rule and causes a crash by making an improper turn, victims of the crash may be able to sue the negligent driver for personal injury damages. If you’ve been injured in a car accident, an experienced Chicago personal injury lawyer can discuss your options for pursuing a claim. (312) 236-2900.
Tips for Avoiding Accidents Caused by Improper Turns
As an Illinois driver, there are precautionary measures you can take to try to avoid an accident.
- Double check for oncoming traffic before making a turn. Only make your turn when the road is clear and you have the right of way.
- Do not be tempted to take shortcuts by making an illegal turn. The safety of yourself and others is more important than arriving faster at a destination.
- When getting ready to turn, slow down and merge into the appropriate lane. Switch on your signal at least 100 feet before the intersection so other cars have enough time to react.
- If you need to make a U-turn, look for signs permitting such action first. U-turns are usually only allowed at particular spots.
- Be aware of other drivers on the road and watch to make sure other drivers aren’t making illegal turns before you enter an intersection. Always allow yourself enough room between your car and other vehicles to come to a sudden stop without colliding.
How a Chicago Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
Unfortunately, no matter how safely you drive, there is still a chance you may be hit by a negligent driver. If you suffered a serious car accident because someone else made an improper turn, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and other losses.
Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. is a Chicago personal injury law firm experienced in representing victims of car accidents. In the past, we have helped clients obtain compensation for a number of accident-related expenses, such as hospital bills, medical treatment, x-rays, prescription pain medication, physical therapy, and car repair payments.
Our knowledgeable team of personal injury lawyers can evaluate your prospective claim and help you decide the best course of action. We offer a one-on-one case assessment free of charge and charge no fees unless we win your case.
Don’t let a car accident derail your life. Call Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. today at to discuss your case during a free consultation. (312) 236-2900.
Don’t miss this article: Top 25 Causes of Car Accidents and What You Can Do To Prevent Them. For this month of October, the Illinois attorneys at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. will be developing a blog series breaking down these leading causes of car crashes.